The Cale Family

James Cale and Amelia Harvey were married in the Woodbridge Registration District in 1888 and set up home at Tollgate Cottages on the Yarmouth Road, Melton. James was employed as a stationary engine driver at St Audry’s Hospital. In 1889, their first child, Morris George, was born. By 1901, the family had increased by two, a daughter Dora and a son Claude Charles. James continued to work at St Audry’s while Amelia was expecting their youngest child, Clarence James.

By 1911, the family had moved to St Audry’s staff housing at 3 Upper Melton Terrace and both James and Morris worked for the hospital. By this time, James had been promoted and was now the assistant engineer for the electrical engine at the hospital.

Towards the end of the war, the family moved away from Upper Melton Terrace to Rectory Lodge on Old Church Road, Melton. James and Amelia’s sons, Morris and Claude, both served in the war, as did their son-in-law, Charles Deeks. Only Morris and Charles survived the fighting, Claude did not.

Claude Charles Cale

Morris George Cale

Charles Deeks